« Home | Stay Poor. Stay Happy. » | var health:value = low; » | The Old Playoff Grind » | Assassinatin' » | Life is a Jug of Beer with a Girl that Broke Your ... » | A Loss of Innocence »

Household Traditions

It has occurred to me that i actually spend more time thinking about what to blog about than I do actually bloggin'. I've had several fantastic ideas come and go, lost somewhere in that void between drunkness or soberness, or morning and night. I had hoped that I would be a little more free and spontaneous when I started this, so in that spirit...

The time-honored house tradition of "yardwork sundays" was extended to include thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday this past week to prep the garage for a new roof and deck (there's a deck on the top of the two car attached garage) . Apparently the roofer miscalculated with his initial estimate... so, naturally, he has now doubled the original price... to try and save a few bucks, i'll be paying some bikers cash to refinish my garage roof, and taking out a line of credit so that i can put a new deck up there and actually pay for all the work... i'm sure theres no way this could end poorly for me...

At least I didnt have to pay Grant, Jaswal (or Sam) for their help...



I have yet to post about any of our fantastic achievements on yardwork sundays... we've gotten drunk raking out the dead grass this spring and caused an accident by waving at passing cars, we cleaned out 50 years of spruce needles from the giant tree in the front yard, built some planters, and have now stripped the tar, gravel and fibreboard off a flat-roofed garage... but many years from now, when reminiscing over the time that Grant and Jaswal lived upstairs, while i definitely wont forget the invaluable assistance they gave me with the yard, who could ever forget the image of three heterosexual men (allegedly) rollerblading together with a weiner dog. Yup, today marks the first (and possibly last) Rollerbladin' Tuesday.

Until a couple of years ago, I was happily unaware of the bad rap rollerblading had acquired. I enjoy rollerblading... its good excercise, and a nice change from jogging. Apparently though, at least according to some of the feedback shouted at me over the past few summers, its no longer considered the most heterosexual of activities... I find this strange, particularly due to its relation to hockey. I thought maybe i was misinformed at first, but several people have confirmed the public opinion for me now. i still rollerblade, im just unfortunately aware what at least a few of the people who see me rollerblading may or may not be thinking when they see me roll by.

This evening past, the dog guilted me into some recreation time, and feeling a little too lazy to go for a run, i figured she could tow me around on the blades... right as i was strappin' on the ol' boots, jaswal comes home and decides he wouldnt mind coming along... so jaswal goes for his blades, and who strolls up but old "Sags" Masson, who unbeknownst to anyone but the gods, had felt the urge to do a little bladin' for some time now himself. And so it was settled... the three of us would rollerblade through mill creek ravine, at a pace set by a small black weiner dog with bad front legs... the gayness of the situation was not lost on us by any means, but secure in our hetreosexuality, we plodded on.

If only we would have all worn speedos

As I have no photo of the event, I can only offer this photo in an attempt to illustrate the joy Rollerbladin' Tuesday has brought us.



Life ain't easy. There's alot of people I know going through some pretty heavy shit these days. People are losing family members, ending relationships, struggling with shitty jobs, and fighting to make ends meet. At the end of the day, we're all left trying to figure out how to make ourselves and the people close to us happy... and not many things are as hard to attain as genuine, prolonged happiness. Personally, I'm pretty fucken miserable and lonley, so i'm the last guy to offer any advice... And quite frankly, there are too many people out there who think they have good advice to offer, but i did actually hear some good advice today... do your best to enjoy the moment your living in, and maybe, just maybe, itll make it a little easier to start looking optimistically to the future, and/or accepting the past.

Well, i'm here to tell you that its pretty tough to worry about all the shitty things in your life while your coasting along behind a weiner dog on a pair of rollerblades...




(for the record, rasta isnt actually a weiner dog, but she looks like one)

Let me know how the bikers work out. I need some work done myself.

Doubling an estimate? Thats a pretty fucking big miscalculation.

You're Gay.

I'll have to agree with doc on this one.

How in the bloody blue hell did you get Sam to work for free ;)

Post a Comment